Friday, July 9, 2010

SHRIMP SCAMPI RECIPE

Last Wednesday I promised to cook my boyfriend dinner, despite getting out from hosting trivia at 10:30. I bought some shrimp from the Farmer's Market on King's st. hoping to find a quick and easy recipe. Lucky for me I found a shrimp scampi recipe on epicurious.com that was fast and incredibly tasty with a light, yet rich flavor.

What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1lb peeled and deveined large shrimp (raw)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- capellini pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

What I added:
2 more cloves of garlic (because I love garlic)
2 large tomatoes chopped
I also tossed the shrimp with some extra hot pepper flakes before cooking them
a little lemon juice at the end

How to Make:

boil 6-8 quarts of water with a pinch of salt (or olive oil)

While the water is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until it's hot, but not smoking. Saute the shrimp, turning over once until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add garlic to remaining oil with pepper flakes (you can adjust the amount to make it spicier or less spicy), wine, salt, and black pepper (I also added my chopped tomatoes here). Cook over med/high heat for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Add butter, stirring until melted, and stir the shrimp back in. You can remove from heat if your shrimp are cooked through, I let mine simmer for a minute or two first.

Cook pasta until tender, reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining. Toss pasta with shrimp mixture and parsley in a large bowl, adding reserved cooking water if necessary to keep moist.

I chose not to toss the pasta, but made it a "serve yourself" kind of thing with grated parmesan, parsley and lemon juice. It took about 30 minutes (after the shrimp were peeled and deveined), and was so good that my boyfriend and I ate everything! My only regret was not having a baguette or bread of some sort to dip in the awesome sauce that was left over in the skillet.. I can't wait to make this again!

Original recipe can be found here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Shrimp-Scampi-Pasta-234258

No comments:

Post a Comment